Photo
- - - - -

What are Female Vampires called?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 Raven180

Raven180

Ghoul

• Spawn
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:56 PM

I've been curious about this, i know quite a bit about vampires but i never thought to figure out what female vampires were called besides female vampire and so if anyone knows please share! thank you!

p.s. i'm new to this site!

-Raven

#2 C'Thulu Dawn

C'Thulu Dawn

Elder

• Twilight
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, debating, philosophy, film, video games, martial arts, parkour, pretentiousness, being a total wanker.

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

Ashleigh...

No but really, "vampire" is the word. Someone will come along and say "vampiress" in a minute, but disregard that.

#3 Raven180

Raven180

Ghoul

• Spawn
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:06 PM

yep i just about figured as much but apparently they are sometimes called Lamia it means female vampire and has other meanings i'm not positive ppl actually refer to them as that but i don't know just a thought! thsnx for your reply!!

-Raven

#4 Infinitys_son

Infinitys_son

Inconnu

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:36 PM

Vampires are called vampires no matter what the sex, the only variation to this is leaders of covens where the male leader is called sire and female leaders are called lady (i.e. Lady amanda ).
Although different cultures may call them different things, and I would like to know what those would be.

#5 Raven180

Raven180

Ghoul

• Spawn
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:12 PM

yes but there is such thing as a female vampire called Lamia it is in the dictionary and there are other names that refer to certain vampires such as vamps which are women vampires who uses her sex appeal to entrap men. obviously there could be some controversy abou this name but i know their are different names to describe vampires.
anyways just thought i'd say that and obviously since not many have replied on this subject i suppose many are quite unsure. still open to suggestions!! thanx

-Raven

#6 Pier

Pier

Nightwalker

• Twilight
  • Pip
  • 499 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:42 AM

Lamia, althought appearing as a female to entrap her victims, isn't a universal designation for a female vampire.

I don't see why vampiress isn't acceptable, however. Would someone please enlighten me on this matter?

#7 Bella

Bella

Mentor

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Studying human kind.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:18 AM

Here you can find some answers related to your questions
http://members.fortu...01/mythlist.htm
I do not find anything wrong about calling female vampires, simply female vampires
~smiles warmly~

#8 evil fish

evil fish

Mentor

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Heavy metal

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:37 AM

vampire and vampiress in latin is lamia

#9 C'Thulu Dawn

C'Thulu Dawn

Elder

• Twilight
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, debating, philosophy, film, video games, martial arts, parkour, pretentiousness, being a total wanker.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:48 AM

Lamia, althought appearing as a female to entrap her victims, isn't a universal designation for a female vampire.

I don't see why vampiress isn't acceptable, however. Would someone please enlighten me on this matter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's just an extra label. Vampire applies to both genders. I think vampiress is acceptable, but there are people on another forum that jumped down my throat everytime the word "vampire" was attached to a female vampire.

In other words, vampiress isn't "the only label".

I always thought Lamia belonged to a certain mythology, like the Strigoi, the Brujah, and others that have been pillaged for use in various RPGs.

#10 Throne777

Throne777

Eternal

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,481 posts
  • Interests:I would rather be ashes than dust!
    I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
    The function of man is to live, not to exist.
    I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
    I shall use my time.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:43 AM

As it's already been pointed out, vampire is a non-gender specific term, it can be both male and female.

You might find this helpful when it comes to lamia. http://www.loggia.com/myth/lamia.html

Throne777

#11 Pier

Pier

Nightwalker

• Twilight
  • Pip
  • 499 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:32 AM

It's just an extra label. Vampire applies to both genders. I think vampiress is acceptable, but there are people on another forum that jumped down my throat everytime the word "vampire" was attached to a female vampire.

In other words, vampiress isn't "the only label".

Of course vampire is applicable to both genders, just as the words lion and tiger apply to both the males and females of the species, but we also see the words lioness and tigress to specifically denote the females. I sitll don't find anything wrong with the word "vampiress" per se.

I always thought Lamia belonged to a certain mythology, like the Strigoi, the Brujah, and others that have been pillaged for use in various RPGs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greek mythos. It also appears as a large serpent.

#12 C'Thulu Dawn

C'Thulu Dawn

Elder

• Twilight
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:07 AM

Of course vampire is applicable to both genders, just as the words lion and tiger apply to both the males and females of the species, but we also see the words lioness and tigress to specifically denote the females. I sitll don't find anything wrong with the word "vampiress" per se.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is nothing wrong with it per se. However it's exercised by fampire nazis a lot.

#13 Pier

Pier

Nightwalker

• Twilight
  • Pip
  • 499 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:16 PM

LMAO I'll remember that term.
As far as what terms are acceptable, I suppose that has to do with the rules specific to the community one visits.

#14 Inquiring_soul

Inquiring_soul

Emissary

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:23 PM

I've herd Lamia...but I'd just call her a female vampire a vampire..heh

#15 Raven180

Raven180

Ghoul

• Spawn
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:34 PM

ok first of all i have to say i was just asking if there were any others names i NEVER said it was dumb to call a female vampire a female vampire why are many ppl on this site so to the point of thinking everyone is against what they start a discussion about and so forth ppl assume too much i'm just saying its not cool to argue over something just tell it how the facts are kindly and don't jump to conclusions and most importantly be very open about what other ppl's opinions are and listen to them.
anyways Lamia is in mythology she is refered to as a female vampire but is also known in Greek Mythology as: A monster represented as a serpent with the head and breasts of a woman that ate children and sucked the blood from men.
close to a vampire also! yes i can deal w/ the fact that a female vampire is refered to as a female vampire but what is wrong with simply calling it vampiress but don'r freak out now and think i'm all for using the word ok just let me know kindly why its no proper to use and such! thanx!

-Raven

#16 cold_crimson

cold_crimson

Disciple

• Darkling
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

i think the same as alot of people who answered, us chick vampyres are called vampyres...

#17 Akasha9009

Akasha9009

Thrall

• Validating
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:can anyone guess?....i wonder...

Posted 15 April 2005 - 02:32 PM

but what is so important after all? you call them simply vampyres. everybody calles them how he wants. there is not a specific term to describe vampyre females.they are just vampyres. lamia is not used to describe a vampiress. it is snother specie in my oppinion. it meens in the same time witch and i think it is more approched to witch...but you can call them however you want.

#18 Gothic Dragon

Gothic Dragon

Revenant

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 688 posts
  • Location:My own private dragon cemetery where i live alone as the last living one of my fallen species

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:39 PM

but what is so important after all? you call them simply vampyres. everybody calles them how he wants. there is not a specific term to describe vampyre females.they are just vampyres. lamia is not used to describe a vampiress. it is snother specie in my oppinion. it meens in the same time witch and i think it is more approched to witch...but you can call them however you want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THANK YOU

#19 Lord Crimson

Lord Crimson

Darkling

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 311 posts
  • Location:Behind you, in the dark somewhere. But not near my brother.
  • Interests:cumpulsive busybody and secret lecher. I am a Taurus.

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:43 PM

I have read vampress , but only in admittedly fictional works.

#20 Akasha9009

Akasha9009

Thrall

• Validating
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:can anyone guess?....i wonder...

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:53 AM

THANK YOU

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what are you thanking for?