42 replies to this topic

#41 Bard of Thorns

Bard of Thorns

Writer, poet, advocate, journalist, take your pick

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,532 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

That's where you're wrong.  I do NOT remain silent on those issues.

#42 Arawan

Arawan

Saint

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Even if he did not cooperate, he still chose to do nothing.  Silence is a choice.

By that Logic, Alaras, you are complicit in the death of everyone who died from a preventable condition, be it lack of lean drinking water, lack of sanitation, starvation, war or anything else, because you know about it and choose not to fix it.

Exactly. Passive resistance is still resistance. The Nazis feared it more than active resistance during WWII. Obesity is huge problem in this US right now, are you chasing down every obese person you see and getting them into a more healthy lifestyle? I'm guessing not, but does that mean you support obesity? 

#43 Beorht

Beorht

nilbogboh

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

If you see someone getting mugged in a public park and do nothing about it, does it make you a mugger?

Hardly, it more than likely means you don't feel confident enough in your abilities to stop it and / or don't want to get injured or killed.

With something like obesity just minding your own business and not intervening in someone's life doesn't necessarily mean that you are supporting their unhealthy lifestyles, and thus obesity. Encouraging them to live unhealthy lifestyles might be supporting obesity, though. Your non-intervention might not equate your support or collaboration, but neither does it equate your passive resistance.

Passive resistance could be refusing to supply the type of food that makes them fat. I heard that high fructose corn syrup being used in cheap food affordable to people on low income might be a significant factor in widespread obesity. So, you might actually be supporting obesity if you were actively involved in the supply of ingestibles containing high fructose corn syrup to poor, fat people.

I suppose active resistance would be challenging the food industry directly, or whatever's happening on the government level that's enabling it to occur.

But taking a stand against something is easier when there are no adverse consequences, as there would be in a violent situation such as a mugging or living under a dictatorship that imprisons, tortures and murders anyone considered politically undesirable.

Edited by Bright One, 29 March 2013 - 05:50 PM.