4 replies to this topic

#1 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,294 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

there are just some songs that for some reason or another are just catchy and reel you in.

for me this odd little number always makes me smile

#2 Etu_Malku

Etu_Malku

IAMTHATIAMNOT

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 937 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I would be very interested in exactly what it is about this song that does that to you, could you elaborate?

*side note: I couldn't listen to more than 10 seconds

#3 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,294 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

for one no matter what someone's taste in music is, or really the lyrics, our brains are tuned to "pop music" repetative beats, and predictability actually stimulate joy centers in our brains.

and...I forgot to include that link

http://news.medill.n....aspx?id=176870

#4 Etu_Malku

Etu_Malku

IAMTHATIAMNOT

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

for one no matter what someone's taste in music is, or really the lyrics, our brains are tuned to "pop music" repetative beats, and predictability actually stimulate joy centers in our brains.

and...I forgot to include that link

http://news.medill.n....aspx?id=176870

Nowhere does it mention "pop" music, only "pleasurable" music and that is subjective.

The reason why some people are succeptable to "pop" or advertising music is for a number of reasons. One, we are all bombarded by media and the more you hear a certain type of sound the more your mind begins to accept it as what you want to hear. Therefore it is common practice to flood all media with the type of sound you want everyone to 'think' they like.

Easily memorized lyrics, especially the hook, is a neurological programmer for sure, it stays on the tip of the tongue longer.

Lastly, there is the "don't think of a pink elephant' psychology . . . that's all you can think of when trying not to. You hear a song that absolutely you hate, and now that is imprinted on your mind's ear for some time.

Good topic! Thanks Rhuen!!

#5 CultHero

CultHero

668... Neighbour of the beast

• Twilight
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Pop-music_1.jpg