13 replies to this topic

#1 Darkness

Darkness

Trickster

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,938 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Scientists working on discovering whether or not we may actually live in a simulated universe.

If the universe is just a Matrix-like simulation, how could we ever know? Physicist Silas Beaneof the University of Bonn, Germany, thinks he has the answer.

http://www.slate.com...ther_we_re.html

This discussion is related to "We are the Sims"

http://forum.darknes...e-are-the-sims/

The interesting thing about this to me is how we might react or feel about some of our most important concepts of religion or philosophy if we discover that we are indeed living in a simulation.  It could be hard to break free of existing religious beliefs, so I'm guessing they would just explain it in the contexts of their religion.

#2 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,284 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Great someone placed StarOcean 3 and it blew their minds.

#3 Darkness

Darkness

Trickster

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,938 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Great someone placed StarOcean 3 and it blew their minds.

Deja vu feeling?  If you notice you said the same thing in the other topic I linked to lol, but I suspect the Simulation theory in physics has been around a lot longer than the video game.

#4 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,284 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Definetly, its an old sci-fi cliche, granted not that old, but as far as sci-fi goes the idea the world is just a computer world has been around, the cliche has even been twisted the other way around in shows like "Reboot" or movies like "The 13th Floor". Star Trek played with it once, but didn't go any further with it.

#5 Bard of Thorns

Bard of Thorns

Writer, poet, advocate, journalist, take your pick

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,532 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

If the test does indicate the plausibility of our universe being a simulation, what would we do to try hacking it?

#6 Darkness

Darkness

Trickster

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,938 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

If the test does indicate the plausibility of our universe being a simulation, what would we do to try hacking it?

I'm getting a hex editor and changing my bank account balance by adding six 0's.

#7 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,284 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

Magic sigils correspond to sublayered coding.

Sympathedic magic being related to unexpected unintenional interlaced coding errors. Glitches and and program confusing/altering codes resulted by combining or doing things the programmer didn't intend or expect so never proofed the codes to make sure they couldn't interact in such a way.

#8 Lethe

Lethe

No one.

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Alright, when they've tested this theory, let me know the results.

#9 Bard of Thorns

Bard of Thorns

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,532 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Yeah, let me know when we figure out how to violate the laws of physics...

#10 Lunatic Pandora

Lunatic Pandora

Limit Breaker

• Twilight
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Definetly, its an old sci-fi cliche, granted not that old, but as far as sci-fi goes the idea the world is just a computer world has been around, the cliche has even been twisted the other way around in shows like "Reboot" or movies like "The 13th Floor". Star Trek played with it once, but didn't go any further with it.

I remember the old Moriarity episode in Star Trek: TNG where he gains sentience and finds out he is a computer program. He then cleverly simulates the entire ship on the holodeck fooling Picard and company that he can walk off the deck, blah, blah. Great episode and came way before The Matrix or The 13th Floor.

In fact, even before that they had an episode of the 80's Twilight Zone about people living inside a virtual reality without knowing it.

#11 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,284 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

could a computer program hack its own universe while part of it?

That would be the real question if the universe were a simulation, then we wouldn't be people on the outside plugged in like the Matrix, but rather part of the simulation, the same code that runs the universe also runs you.

So you on your own with out "user" assistance or tools, would have a difficult time hacking the universe and changing fundamental codes. (physics).

Its what I liked in Star Ocean 3, the characters in the simulation didn't know they were in a simulation, and never would have had the Creator not gotten scared. The creations had advanced so far in a science called "symbological genetics" basically symbology would be sigils or codes that would seem harmless but allowed them to create phenomonon not normal to the universe (magic) and some found it was possible to instill these "hack codes" into their own DNA as some (aberations) were born with the natural ability, so they were studied. (Like a Meta or X gene kind of deal)

the creator got scared, as he knew something he never let on to his own staff, that theoretically as due to how complex the simulation is, it qualified as another dimension but that would hurt profits of having gamers go in (heroes, gods, monsters, ect...) so he decided to destroy the areas of the simulation causing the problem. Which set off the whole problem as self defense wise instead of letting it come they delved deeper and uncovered three super codes and instilled them in three children (one the power to destroy *outright delete data* (matter and energy just gone), one the power to alter (change the very make up of the data, ignoring conservation of mass or anything of that nature), and the third connection (able to link or hack in-simulation user tools to gain access to the user's dimension)

the user tools were a fun one (they made a nod at marvel comic's Cosmic cube) really suspected at some point a comic book writer has wanted to do this with either Marvel or DC (and it would make total sense) but weren't allowed to. It would explain so much in them. That the user tools placed in the simulation for the user's avatars *think how Marvel and DC's "Abstracts" create M-bodies that are said to be weaker than they are and can be destroyed but they always can come back" for making adjustments as needed.

The cosmic cube, Infinity gems, Infinity Gauntlet, ect...would fit that kind of thing perfectly.

In our world that would be the gods and their many incarnations, the idea that death only means change not distruction for the Kami, and various magic items that supposedly come and go and break the laws of physics like never ending food producing cauldrons. Like some massive world of warcraft game, that back in the day was in full swing but has changed Genre at some point, keeping the same simulation in tact only minus the monsters and demons; but due to how complex it all is can't be compeltly deleted so remnant data remains (hence all the invisible ghostly monsters that do the same stuff over and over in isolated places). With the boss monsters put into hibernation as deleting their code might undo some fundamental aspects of the game that could cause massive glitches (hence things like gods and devils remain but are locked out of the physical sphere and only able to use subtle tools it and others learned from players *the angels that taught mankind magic and got in trouble for it* would be those players.

Nothing says, bad idea like teaching the NPCs how to use the PCs' powers.

#12 Darkness

Darkness

Trickster

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,938 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

The laws of physics already break down, at the quantum level, inside a black hole, at the fringes of the universe, etc...  As the laws of physics are expanded, redefined, discovered, or other.  It could all be nothing more than the configuration of a simple program.  The laws of physics are irrelevant as they really don't even have to apply outside a simulation, if they were written as rules of the simulation.

#13 Bard of Thorns

Bard of Thorns

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,532 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

What I meant was: when we're able to teach humans how to do the kind of shit only found in high fantasy, sign me up.  Otherwise, I'm bored.

#14 Darkness

Darkness

Trickster

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,938 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

What I meant was: when we're able to teach humans how to do the kind of shit only found in high fantasy, sign me up.  Otherwise, I'm bored.

That's covered in Simulated Universe 201.