4 replies to this topic

#1 Etu_Malku

Etu_Malku

IAMTHATIAMNOT

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 937 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

The oldest known civilizations, Egyptian and Sumerian, both had Solstice celebrations.

The rebirth/resurrection of Egyptian god Horus lasted twelve days. The Sumerian god Marduk also had a twelve day celebration where He conquered the demons of darkness! The Sumerians included in their celebrations the tradition of gift giving which later Pagan Rome (my favorite Roman period) adopted it as Saturnalia and included jingling bells to drive away evil daimons away as well as candles to welcome back the Sun.

The Greeks noticed the immortality in the varieties of Evergreens, that they had the power over death unlike the other trees during the winter and wreaths and limbs were brought inside. Mistletoes were used for fertility, abundance, and protection from evil.

The Norse Freyja had a kissing ritual which bestowed luck, love, fertility and protection from disease.

During Persephone’s descent into the Underworld, her God Demeter cries tears that form the first snowflakes. The same story is found earlier with the Sumerian Goddess Inanna and Her descent into the Underworld (Akkadian version is Ishtar).

#2 TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

Quintisential Questioning Quester

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I prefer Dionysusmas.  We get to drink and party.

Mithramas is pretty boring.

#3 Etu_Malku

Etu_Malku

IAMTHATIAMNOT

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 937 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

YOU in the wrong household then!

Major party here!

#4 FallingSpider

FallingSpider

Elder

• Twilight
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

I've been reading about the female divine, and it's rather fascinating watching how the stories evolved as male began to over power the female.

#5 Etu_Malku

Etu_Malku

IAMTHATIAMNOT

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I've been reading about the female divine, and it's rather fascinating watching how the stories evolved as male began to over power the female.

At what time period do you find this first happening?