Welcome to Darkness Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starry Sky OOC

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

Quintisential Questioning Quester

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

The year is 2077.  Humanity has advanced considerably in the last few decades thanks to the study of the mind.  Many people have learned to do things with their mind which would have been considered magic a century earlier, create fire or light, or to speak with the mind, or contact beings in other dimensions.  Technology has advanced as well.  Neural interface technology allows humanity to learn much more rapidly, control machines with the mind, and experience completely realistic virtual reality.

Humanity has also discovered one thing which can travel faster than light, consciousness.  This allow the creation of thought communication devices to be used to communicate throughout the solar system, to all of the colonies seeded in her by the people of Earth.  The mastery of thought/machine interface also allowed humanity to create Faster-than-light propulsion.  This FTL drive, which allows one to travel through hyperspace, their path guided by thought, has allowed humanity to create its first interstellar ships.  The ships must be manned, however, so automation is all but impossible.

On the eave of the launch of its first interstellar ship, the Discovery, humanity received a thought-message from beyond the stars.  Welcome.  No one knows what awaits humanity outside the solar system, though the massage, as well as ruins found on Mars by her colonists, have taught us one thing.  We are not alone in the universe.

I am creating this thread in an attempt to keep the RP section from dieing.  I plan on posting at least once a week, possibly more, though you won't need to post as much if you don't want to.  The magic system is based off of the one I used in my "psywars" thread, in case you want your character to have powers.

The ship will need (at least) a pilot/navigator, a doctor, and an engineer.  I will fill whichever role is needed.  We will also need warriors, though I'm sure those positions will be filled.  We will be the best humanity has to offer, though that doesn't mean we will be flawless.  Once we have four crew members I'll start the thread, though more people can always join after that.  We will have a descent sized crew to draw from, after all.

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Just to cover the tech, the ship has a max speed (with a fully rested pilot at class 6 or above skill) of about 30k c.  That means it can travel 1 lightyear every 17.5 minutes.  The hyper-thought (HT) drive has four settings:

1) Walk - (moderate mental wear) boosts the sublight speed by .5c.  Generally only used in battle, as it tends to wear pilots out, and is too slow for long distance travel.  Can't speed a ship past 1c.

2) Run - (moderate mental wear) normal FTL flight.

3) Sprint - (high mental wear) boosts the ship's speed by using stored power.  lasts for maybe 10 minutes at full sprint.

4) Jump - (extra high mental wear) uses all stored power to jump.  Max distance of 3 or 4 lightyears.  Jumps with earlier drives caused aneurisms, though the drive on the Discovery should take 4 or 5 jumps before it has that effect.

Pilots learned to fly FTL in the solar system, so they aren't used to long flight (for now).  Skills are rated in classes, 1 being the lowest, 10 the highest.  That might help you figure out the relative strengths of your character and tell us about how good they are in their main skill areas. (FTL and sublight flight are separate areas)

Also, how large should the ship be and what kind of armaments/loadout do you think it should have?

Bard of Thorns

Bard of Thorns

Writer, poet, advocate, journalist, take your pick

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,532 posts

That Psywars thread has 14 pages as of this posting.  Do you seriously expect forum RPers to search the whole thing to try and figure out what you're trying to do?  If you want to have a "system" for magic/special abilities, put it in this thread.

Edited by Bard of Thorns, 20 December 2012 - 08:03 PM.

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Sorry, I didn't think of how long it was.  Most of it isn't needed.  The following is.

The basic rules for magic are:

1) it takes just as much energy to do something with the mind as with the body

2) Magic must adhere to the laws of nature

the first basically means that you can use uber powerful abilities.  Fire created is fueled by you or your environment.  The second basically keeps you from creating something from nothing.  Shapeshifting has to be to a being of the same mass at the very least.  As long as you follow those, feel free to do whatever with your powers.

The only other things that are important are that magic is divided into Psycho-kinesis (moving with the mind), energetics (manipulating energy), Telepathy, spirit (using your spirit and manipulating spirits) and ESP (knowing things through means that aren't understood, such as reading energy patterns).  As you get better at one magical skill (such as reading minds) you can learn stronger things in the area (such as break into minds, or transfer knowledge)  That and the power classes in Psywars, which you may or may not choose to use, are all that you'll need.

Leven

Leven

Inconnu

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Well my interest is peeked, I'll throw together a bio of a character,  not sure what role I want to play, but I know I want to have magneto like powers. Wondering if you ever seen Defying gravity, this sort of reminded me of that. Like I said if you start a thread I will be involved, though you might have to walk me through the finer details of the world in which you created. I'll have my char up and running tonight. 

~Rich

Leven

Leven

Inconnu

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 1,279 posts

I have some questions, in what state is the world in. Are we one people at peace, are we still separated into states and factions. Does the government control still?

If I may be so bold, I think 1984 would be valuable here, with the simple idea that the world be sectioned into three nations, each with equal claim upon the space program. 

Also I'm guessing that those on the ship Discovery, will be the best of the best each nation has to offer. I would also take from this that it will be the most advance ship ever created by man, but still untested because it is the first. With that said, and adding homage to the ships name, I would say that it is still a retrofitted normal space shuttle. (no weapons and such). 

Didn't know how in depth you wanted to get with this, and don't want to assume anything you had set in your mind, with that said I don't shy away from depth. Also want a decent back story for my character.

So far my char's name is Corwin Rhys, a mechanic, with the ability Ferrokinesis. 

And like I said take a look at defying gravity, might give you an idea of an epic space saga. Get back to me, much looking forward to getting this up and running. 

~Rich

Edited by Ransom, 21 December 2012 - 04:57 PM.

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

I was imagining the world as a sort of naive utopia controlled by an expanded UN.  Technology has made basic things cheap enough that they are easy to provide, and there is little war to use resources.  There is next to no hunger (free restaurants in every city over medium size, that serve poor tasting but nutritious food), free medical care (at least the basics, though nothing fancy, like high grade anti-aging treatments or cloned organs for people that aren't desperate for them), and free housing (small apartments that are set up like dorm rooms),  There are even government temp jobs which you can work at if you need cash (or funds in your account, since paper money and coin aren't necessary).

I don't really like 1984 as a society, as they would never go to space, since it would require small groups of independent people, and they are built around large groups of people doing a specific, repetitive job they were literally designed for from before birth.

I think the actual space shuttle is a bit small (and they would be more than 100 years old and have already been retired by NASA).  I didn't think of the ship being named after a space shuttle, but something a bit bigger that looks like a high-tech shuttle, maybe something the size of Serenity (from the TV show Firefly), or a little bigger, would be fine.  It would also need basic systems in many areas, as we don't know what's out there and would want to be prepared.  I suppose we can pick up aliens or swing by Earth for more crew if people want to join later.

Ferrokinesis is a cool ability.  It will work really well as a character ability.  Also, every ship needs a mechanic, so that is a great idea as well.  I was thinking of making my character a telepath, as you would want at least one aboard for psychological reasons and in case you run into a telepathic alien race.  Once a few more people join, I can set some things in stone, though I want basic skills in a variety of areas, mostly sciences.

Edited by TheUnknowable, 21 December 2012 - 10:21 PM.

Leven

Leven

Inconnu

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Name: Corwin Ryhs

Powers: Ferrokinesis: the manipulation of metal (Level 8.27 of 10)

Rank: Lieutenant of operations and logistics. Master of Mechanics. 

Features: Long flowing silver hair, deep azure eyes, a pleasant and handsome face with a chiseled brow and chin. A moderate stature (6 foot 1), A completely toned and ripped physique (175 lbs with less than 7% body fat). Perfect 20/20 vision.

History: Corwin was born into one of the richest families of current times. His father is heir of one of the only remaining families of royalty from what is left of former Europe. His mother works for the newly formed E.C.S.E (Earth Coalition of Space Exploration). Being born with a meager ability in Ferrokinesis, simple things like making his utensils dance around his plates and bowls was one thing, but considering the fact that he can now isolate and reconstruct entire parts of  a ship easily is another. Later in his adolescence he took a strong interest in piloting, but after failing his flight exam three time he took up something easier which was interplanetary mechanics.

Now he isn't the best mechanic in the verse, but he's far from the worst, and with his ability to break down everything to it's basic components gives him an advantage amongst his competitors, he has made himself an invaluable asset  His ability barely reached level 3, but with his parents fortune behind him, the new genetics research and Bionic implant facilities, and his own confidence and ambition to boot, honest to say not a single living person has had such a skill both extremely powerful and untested.

With all this in mind he is a new talent surfacing with an ego to match, but the old cliche holds true with great power comes great responsibility. . . even more so with over-confidence and a life lived in the lap of luxury. Hence to say his upbringing and his ability set him upon the path he finds himself now, his guaranteed seat amid earths best for this new exploration. He looks at it eagerly as not an opportunity, but as another notch on his belt of the many achievements to be carved in stone and forever be listed on his otherwise perfect record.

Let me know if I need to omit any small details, balls in your court. Like I said wanted to get this started, let's burn this mother down. Tag, you're it.

~Rich

Edited by Ransom, 26 December 2012 - 07:10 PM.

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

I like it.  I wrote one, but I'm not sure which role I'll fill.  The way my character's written he could be a pilot, doctor, or engineer (backup now).  Maybe he'll be the pilot and doctor?

Preliminary Bio:

Name: Shawn Hamill

Skills: Hyper-piloting (class 3), Piloting (class 6), Engineering (class 7), Biology/Medical (class 3), Physics (class 4)

Paranormal Abilities: Telepathy (class 6), Telekinesis (class 2)

History: Joined the Mars colony as a technician in 2042. There he studied the new class of technology, know as mentalics, devices which used the mind either for control or as a part of their operation. He developed a mental sensor array which could accurately scan objects almost .1 lightyears away. In 2055 he entered cryosleep so that he could take the eight year trip to the Kuiper belt to work as first officer on a station there which mapped the belt for resources. He had to take command three years after he arrived there due to a disease which killed the commander of the station. He worked there for five years, waking on Mars after returning in 2076. There he took one of the new hyper-thought drive equipped shuttles to Earth so that he could enter the competition for the Discovery mission. Eventually he managed to win the Captaincy by adapting to the challenges put before him faster than any other candidate, and by surpassing the others in both piloting and hyper-piloting abilities. Also, an improved version of his sensor system was going to be used aboard the Discovery, and he was one of the few candidates that had expertise in any ship's technology other than general engineering knowledge.

He is a bit obsessed when it comes to preforming his best, being known as a bit of a “geek” when he was a teen. He particularly succeeded at sciences. He even chose to develop paranormal abilities because of his love for the earlier entertainment form known as anime.

I'll hold off on naming his position for now.  He'll just do multiple roles and we'll pick up crew later I guess.  I'd really like to have a third person, though.

Edited by TheUnknowable, 26 December 2012 - 08:56 PM.

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Started the topic.  It's named "beyond the starry sky".  Have fun.

Bard of Thorns

Bard of Thorns

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,532 posts

Here's your third.

Name: Rakshasa Vakhusti (birth name: Ryan Silvers)

Skills: Hyper-piloting (class 2), Piloting (class 4), Biology/Medical (class 6), Hand-to-Hand Combat (class 7), Knife Fighting (class 5), Cooking with Meat (class 4), Vegetarian Cooking (class 9), Handgun (class 1), Stealth (class 9.5)

Paranormal Abilities: ESP - Unknown Type [nicknamed "Human Internet"] (class 7), ESP - Detect Life Forms (Class 10), Machine Empathy [see Paranoia role-playing game for detailed definition] (class 9), Non-Human Animal Communications (class 6), Telepathy - Humans (class 4)

History: An undocumented drifter of unknown parentage.  It is clear that he has quite a bit of knowledge and education, but as his records were mostly lost due to clerical errors and apparent tampering on the local level, the only thing that is currently known is that he was born under the name Ryan Silver, somewhere on North America, determined via a surviving change of name document and accompanying ruling from a civil court.  Is believed to be an unregistered user of paranormal abilities, with unknown influences over machinery, animals, and even information itself.  Has an innate understanding of machines, but no technical know-how, education, or training whatsoever.  He has claimed it is as though machines understand him better than people do.  Boarded the Discovery using false papers (most likely purchased on the black market), but nobody discovered it until he was already on board and ready to launch.  A strict vegetarian, he has refined his craft in the kitchen to a fine art, so long as no meats are involved.  When it comes to preparing and cooking meat, he can only offer a promise that it will be edible.  At that point, it didn't seem to matter all that much.  Rakshasa has not revealed his reasons for joining, or even spoken much with the crew as of yet.  He tends to be quiet, but it is possible that he wants to know more about the ones who sent humanity an invitation...

It's quite possible that he could fill a number of roles with his Machine Empathy and ESP to support his actions, but knowing isn't the same as doing, and there's a good chance he'll screw up as an engineer or something else that requires precision beyond his understanding.  Then there's the other question: why would anyone work so hard to develop such abilities?

Edited by Bard of Thorns, 27 December 2012 - 01:28 AM.

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

when there are machine-brain interfaces already, it does seem a bit redundant to have such an ability, though I can think of a few situation where it would make sense.

1) telepathy with androids

2) work with primitive computer systems (if we come across one)

3) diagnosing machines (though someone else would fix them)

4) diagnosing bionic systems (with telepathy thrown in it would work better than medical equipment, as you could sense what was wrong with both haves of a cyborg's brain)

Detecting life would make sense in hostile situations, though if we landed in a jungle, could that overload his abilities?  Also, speaking with animals is cool, and could come in handy.

Also, I might as well add some combat abilities to my character, so add:

fencing (class 8), hand guns (class 5), martial arts (class 3)

All anime/geek type combat skills.  Also, I'll develop my paranormal abilities later.

Edit: I just thought of something that the ship could have.  I call them though boosters.  When installed in a system, they let you use similar paranormal abilities to improve, change or augment the system.  For example, telepathy boosts the communication system, a person that can produce barriers can improve shields, and a person that has a pulsed attack power (like fire ball) would improve a pulsed energy weapon system (like plasma cannons).  This would mean that Corwyn's powers could improve the rail guns (and maybe power systems) and Rakshasa's abilities would let the sensors detect lifeforms or machines more easily and at a greater range.  What you you two think?

Also, Bard, did you guy come on board with a fake ID as a crew member or as a stowaway?  Also, what name will we know him by?  Fake ID means he could have a third name.  Also, does "human internet" mean his brain can jack into computer networks?

Edited by TheUnknowable, 27 December 2012 - 11:46 AM.

Leven

Leven

Inconnu

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 1,279 posts

I really like the booster idea, also might gain other powers by implants and such through out the story. I figure Bard's powers will actually be great, kind of like a human computer, wonder if he is looking at it like Cypher from X'men (god rest his soul). Also just wanted to give you both a heads up, my character is going to be pretty dickish, so probably gonna butt heads and have a lot of smart ass comments flying every which way. Actually wish we had a female to play, because the sexiest shit would be funny as hell. Anyway I'll get something up tonight, later

~Rich 

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

I was planning on commenting at some point that all the senior staff (or maybe all the staff since it is a small ship) was male.  Unless you want my character to turn into a geeky captain Kirk, we need a woman.  (Or I could say he was Buddhist and force him to overcome his "carnal" desires)  I was even tempted to create a second, female character.

edit:  meant "thought boosters" in the last post in case you didn't get that.  Of course we'd need you on weapons and engineering if we went into battle so that we could get the boost to our rail guns.

Edited by TheUnknowable, 27 December 2012 - 06:56 PM.

Bard of Thorns

Bard of Thorns

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,532 posts

No, the papers were in his current name, the only fake parts were ID numbers and such (since he has no records, he had no way of having a real ID created, so he got the best fake he could find).  By the time the ship launches, it's really irrelevant whether you have your papers or not, I'd figure.  Rakshasa's abilities would also most likely allow for interference with OTHER ships (such as being able to "convince" the ships to turn on their crews, or to refuse to follow commands to attack), and his ESP - Unknown Type is something that lets him learn just about anything to some extent if he needs it (it'll yield him answers to various questions he asks "himself"), and can allow him to FAKE competency in some skills in a pinch (for example, he's no mechanic, but he could do a quick patch-up if nobody else can do so, and he will be MUCH better at makeshift solutions, since he's getting this stuff from some unknown repository of information that may or may not physically exist).

Also, the reason it's nicknamed "Human Internet" is because he can search for the answer to just about any question, similar to a web search.

Edited by Bard of Thorns, 28 December 2012 - 01:19 PM.

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

your guy can tap into the akashic field or something?  interesting and cool.  Though it could make him god-like if it develops too far.

Bard of Thorns

Bard of Thorns

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,532 posts

Probably not.  It's ONLY an info-gathering skill, and the information sometimes includes a bit of how-to.

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

ok

Neludralon

Neludralon

Versatile Chameleon

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Still accepting apps?

If yes, I have a middle aged Jewish doctor character who was raised by "monks" in former Europe, also skilled in Bionics. I wanted him to willingly volunteer for this exploration.

With Psychic diagnosis, psychic surgery, feign death, and bio-manipulation as the 4 psi-powers I've chosen. I've got descriptions, durations, and limitations already written out for clarification purposes.

If you don't need my character at this time, then enjoy your thread :)

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts

sure.  We don't have a chief medical officer yet, so, just post on here and add yourself in.