Photo
- - - - -

How well do you and loved ones know the bible?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,267 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

As I have been spending too much time on cracked.com I came across a fun article.

things not in the bible that people think are in there

http://www.cracked.c...user4=yesincite

Mostly thanks to artists and poets and many generations of people who don't know the difference.

*I wander if anyone thinks there was a talking panther with big tits thanks to the movie El Arka

LoL

Anywho, it got me thinking. Because it reminded me of when I told my mother about the army of the dead in the bible and she had never read it.

She like many has "tried" to read the whole damned thing. But no matter how "good" a christian you are, chances are you only read a handful of pages, (and for many those red highlighted passages that some bibles have like some fucker said, this is good but only this less than one percent is really important)

Mostly because despite what you may believe that is was seriously boring book. I know I actually read the whole damned thing, and I still missed shit because I couldn't help but start to skim with all the begots of the old testaments and the amens of the new making it really annoying to read (like telegrams that would have the word "stop" in place of a period).

#2 Darkness

Darkness

Trickster

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,938 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

those thrones are pretty awesome

#3 Skadi

Skadi

Methuselah

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,140 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

I've read it cover to cover aside from the geneological lists which I just kind of glanced over... and i was aware of all of that.

#4 Beorht

Beorht

nilbogboh

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

I heard that there's a line in the English hymn All Things Bright and Beautiful along the lines of "the rich man at his castle, the poor man at his gate" which is from the Koran, rather than the Judeo-Christian Bible. Thinking back on it, you might call it a Creationist song rather than specifically a Christian one. Convincing the people to know their place, drilling it into them whilst they're young.

Edited by Bright One, 29 November 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#5 AmieNoire

AmieNoire

The Unseeliest

• Darkling
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

I've read it cover to cover (including deuterocanonical and apocrypha), but I've always felt that most of the OT is irrelevant to Christians. Christianity is about Jesus Christ healing the rift between God and man, and pretty much everything beyond Genesis and the prophets is just Jewish history and law. Useful to know, for context, but not essential.

It really gets my goat that 9 out of 10 bible-thumpers out there are readier to quote OT than NT, and then pitch a fit when I call them judaizers.

#6 Caulfield

Caulfield

TROLLOLOL

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

I have read all the bible, though never cover to cover. My loved ones have read the bible at a far greater depth and detail than I ever will. My brother, for example, is an OT Hebrew professor. My dad, though not having any formal education, is currently undertaking revolutionary study into the grammar of the NT Greek.

I also knew all of the things in the cracked article.

#7 Robin

Robin

Game Connoisseur

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

I tell my daughter what is relevant to the time, and when she has questions I answer her. For the most part though I have explained to her that I don't follow that doctrine so it isn't important to me. When you answer the question, "who was jesus" with "he was this guy a long time ago who they claimed was a god or something" then the bible only barely comes into the conversation.

#8 passingover

passingover

• Twilight
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,594 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

I heard that there's a line in the English hymn All Things Bright and Beautiful along the lines of "the rich man at his castle, the poor man at his gate" which is from the Koran, rather than the Judeo-Christian Bible. Thinking back on it, you might call it a Creationist song rather than specifically a Christian one. Convincing the people to know their place, drilling it into them whilst they're young.

It sounds as if it may be referring to the story of Lazarus as it appears in the NT. Luke I think? It's been a while since I read it.

Anyway yes they all tend to overlap in ways and often have common themes. We are all human or at least humanoid and share similarities which often are reflected in our stories and history. There is also some actual mixing too which tends to occur over time.

Edited by passingover, 23 December 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#9 Einder

Einder

Druid Mystic

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

I have also read the bible cover to cover and agree that it is one boring book! My mom was Christian and my Father and Step Mother are both pastors of a church. We tend to have many long conversations about various things dealing with the faith that has become Christianity. I think it's important that people read it though, any true occulist, religion expert, etc should have read it though at least once....it's very informative in and of it self of how many lies your expected to believe for the sake of nothing but faith.