3 replies to this topic

#1 Beorht

Beorht

nilbogboh

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Egypt's newly-elected Coptic Christian pope said on Monday that he was alarmed at the overtly religious nature of the country's proposed new constitution. It is an indication that he intends to campaign with secular groups against the emphasis on Islam in the newly-formulated charter.

Pope Tawadros II expressed concern about the rise of militant Islamism in Egypt and the resulting violent attacks on churches as well as lethal assaults on worshippers. A rising number of court cases are being filed against Christians accusing them of blasphemy and disrespecting Islam.

But the new Pope is hopeful that things can improve. "This is changing bit by bit, and it will take time. It needs encouraging, and so long as society is fair, and democracy is built fairly, you will see participation [from the Copts]."

http://www.secularis...e-of-secularism

#2 TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

Quintisential Questioning Quester

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Maybe something can keep them from becoming a religious nation. When religions get political power, they tend to abuse it.

#3 Beorht

Beorht

nilbogboh

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Well, I think I might have seen something on the news about a fresh wave of protests in Egypt. However, I'm under the impression that it had more to do with Morsi having too much power than the looming spectre of theocracy.

#4 Gwinevere

Gwinevere

Ecstasy.

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

There is a fresh wave of protests in Egypt, although to be honest the core of the revolution in Tahrir Square never really left. There's been a tent city there for months. 

However, Morsi's power-grab and the Islamist nature of the proposed constitution are interwined things. Morsi's power grab is through the Constitutional process, and so are more or less of a piece with Tawadros' objections to the new constitution.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics, religion