Welcome to Darkness Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Mermaids don't exist.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Lethe

Lethe

No one.

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,604 posts
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration put out a statement earlier this year that said "No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found."

http://oceanservice....s/mermaids.html

I love that a national government organization has a webpage about mermaids.

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

Quintisential Questioning Quester

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts
I heard that the stories of mermaids were basically stories of Manatees. Mostly because Female manatees a anatomically very similar to human women and sailors often took advantage of it.

Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,300 posts
Mermaids are faeries

In other words shapeshifting supernatural beings whose form is of their choosing and can move between planes of reality.
Mermaids have been known to grant luck, create curses, give humans long life, summon gold, and even manifest storms. (Mermen are better known for causing storms than mermaids)

I'd say though that this response was probably thanks to that faux documentary (Mermaids the Body Found) which they failed to bill as *fiction*

I have an aunt who thought it was a real conspiracy documentary. I pointed out that it wasn't and told her about simular ones like the one about a dragon found in ice.
  • Beorht likes this

CultHero

CultHero

668... Neighbour of the beast

• Twilight
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration put out a statement earlier this year that said "No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found."

Pft, obviously they weren't looking very hard.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,300 posts
On the left,
a Human/Mutant, Merperson hybrid who is king of Atlantis.

On the right
a Master-Race Merman who is king of Atlantis.
*make no mistake, DC's underwater world is filled with several variants of merpeople which are divided up by a race based Caste system.
(they were more open about that back when the character was first introduced naturally).