Welcome to Darkness Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Super-humans in religion

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,300 posts
Yep, religions are chalk full of super-humans, and no I don't mean demi-gods like Heracles/Hercules, I mean people who had super-powers with out backstories like that either through divine providence, some magic, or just had them and thanks to some good deed got remembered by the local religious institution.

To get the ball rolling a list cracked.com did of six super-human saints from Catholocism.

http://www.cracked.c...=feature_module

Caulfield

Caulfield

TROLLOLOL

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 2,151 posts
Ah Catholocism. Though slightly misrepresented by the cracked article, funny all the same. Here's some more, though these people don't have any kind of "super-power" because they never claim the power to be their own.

First there's Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego:

Then Nebuchadnezzar was full of fury and the expression on his face changed toward Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego. He spoke and commanded that they heat the furnace seven times more than it was usually heated. And he commanded certain mighty men of valor who were in his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, and cast them into the burning fiery furnace.
Therefore, because the king's command was urgent, and the furnace exceedingly hot, the flame of the fire killed those men who took up Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego. And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.
Then King Nedbuchadnezzar was astonished; and he rose in haste and spoke, saying to his counsellors, "Did we not cast three men bound into the midst of the fire?" They answered and said to the king, "True, O king." "look!" he answered, "I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire; and they are not hurt, and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God."
Then Nebuchadnezzar went near the mouth of the burning fiery furnace and spoke, saying, "Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, servants of the Most High God, come out and come here." Then Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego came from the midst of the fire.

Then there's Elijah:

Then Elijah said to the people, "I alone am left a prophet of the Lord; but Baal's prophets are four hundred and fifty men. Therefore let them give us two bulls; and let them choose one bull for themselves, cut it in pieces, and lay it one the wood, but put no fire under it; and I will prepare the other bull, and lay it on the wood, but put no fire under it. Then you call on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the Lord; and the God who answers by fire, He is God."
So all the people answered and said, "it is well spoken."
Now Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, "Choose one bull for yourselves and prepare it first, for you are many; and call on the name of your god, but put no fire under it." So they took the bull which was given them, and they prepared it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even till noon, saying, "O Baal, hear us!" But there was no voice; no one answered. Then they leaped about the altar which they had made. And so it was, at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said, "Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is meditating, or he is busy, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is sleeping and must be awakened."
So they cried aloud, and cut themselves, as was their custom, with knives and lances, until the blood gushed out on them. And when the midday was past, they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice. But there was no voice; no one answered, no one paid attention.
Then Elijah said to all the people, "Come near to me." So all the people came near to him. And he repaired the altar of the Lord that was broken down. And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, to whom the word of the Lord had come, saying, "Israel shall be your name." Then with the stones he built an altar in the name of the Lord; and he made a trench around the altar large enough to hold two seahs of seed. And he put the wood in order, cut the bull in pieces, and laid it on the wood, and said, "Fill four waterpots with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice and on the wood."
Then he said, "Do it a second time," and they did it a second time; and he said, "Do it a third time," and they did it a third time. So the water ran all around the altar; and he also filled the tench with water. And it came to pass, at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near and said, "Lord God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known this day that You are God in Israel and I am Your servant, and that I have done all these things at Your word. Hear me, O Lord, hear me, that this people may know that You are the Lord God, and that You have turned their hearts back to You again."
Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood ans the stones and the dust, and it licked up the water that was in the tench.
Now when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces; and they said, "The Lord, He is God! The Lord, He is God!"

There are many, many such instances. I'll type out more later perhaps.

Arawan

Arawan

Saint

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Yep, religions are chalk full of super-humans, and no I don't mean demi-gods like Heracles/Hercules, I mean people who had super-powers with out backstories like that either through divine providence, some magic, or just had them and thanks to some good deed got remembered by the local religious institution.

To get the ball rolling a list cracked.com did of six super-human saints from Catholocism.

http://www.cracked.c...=feature_module

This is why you see saints get removed from the liturgical calendar. Before there was a formalized process for declaring sainthood, basically any body could just ended up being called a saint. A lot of the older ones are amalgamations of several people or completely fictional. The Church kind of has a back log on investigating these and has to deal with current petitions at the same time. It's kind of a headache really.

Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,300 posts
Yes Arawen, according to a book I once had one of the saints was a combination of a Pagan goddess and a nun. Saint Brigid.

Caulfield, you under play Elijah man, although loved that part; mostly because someone could do the same thing to any religion today including christianity (ask them to pray for their god and wait to hear an actual tangible voice and presence and nothing happen).

but Elijah was chalk full of powers; didn't he raise an army of the dead at one point?

TheUnknowable

TheUnknowable

Quintisential Questioning Quester

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,212 posts
His apprentice made some bears come and maul 40 or so kids the were calling him "baldy".

My favorite is Sampson. Super strength, but apparently his kryptonite was getting a hair cut.

Yes Arawen, according to a book I once had one of the saints was a combination of a Pagan goddess and a nun. Saint Brigid.

Caulfield, you under play Elijah man, although loved that part; mostly because someone could do the same thing to any religion today including christianity (ask them to pray for their god and wait to hear an actual tangible voice and presence and nothing happen).

but Elijah was chalk full of powers; didn't he raise an army of the dead at one point?

Caulfield

Caulfield

TROLLOLOL

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 2,151 posts

I'm not underplaying Elijah at all, I'm playing him exactly the same way he played himself. It's not about him (or any other prophet for that matter) it's about God.

Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,300 posts
The title of this one is kind of goofy given what Marvel and DC have put out there, but here is Cracked doing some Prophets, and Samson.

(so actual in the Bible stuff and not just saints who showed up much later)

http://www.cracked.c...er4=recommended

Caulfield

Caulfield

TROLLOLOL

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 2,151 posts
I personally like Joshua's conquest, and the battle of Jericho could well be viewed as a kind of "music magic" (though I agree with the biblical view that it is the work of the Lord God).

Now Jericho was securely shut up because of the children of Israel; none went out, and none came in. And the Lord said to Joshua: "See! I have given Jericho into your hand, its king, and the mighty men of valor. You shall march around the city, all you men of war: you shall go all around the city once. This you shall do six days. And seven priests shall bear seven trumpets of rams' horns before the ark. But the seventh day you shall march around the city seven times and the priests shall blow the trumpets. It shall come to pass, when they make a long blast with the ram's horn, and when you hear the sound of the trumpet, that all the people shall shout with a great shout; then the wall of the city will fall down flat. And the people shall go up every man straight before him."

They then do this and the walls fall down.

Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,300 posts
I realized I mixed up Elijah and Ezekial on the whole army of the dead thing.

on the walls of Jericho, to me calling upon the power of any supernatural force counts as a form of magic. But music magic or divine intervention, still better than the UFO guys who think a flying saucer came down and shot the walls out...

God(s) are powerful forces whose mindsets are impossible for humans to fathom, and their actions can have goals placed far into the future, possibly effecting things we didn't see or may never know about, like maybe the war there had nothing to do with Israel, but rather God was insuring that a certain man died, so another man would have his wife to pass on the genes necissary to someday give birth to Albert Einstein.

Magic, would be the control of reality through unseen forces, if done by those people who only claimed it as divine to justify it to their own people, then we are looking at politics and war.

But aliens, these would be physical thinking beings like ourselves, who traveled across the vastness of space; and apparently according to these people decided to aid one group of the many warring groups of primitive alien life forms (to them) on an alien planet (to them) and decided to play God and shoot out a wall. But as physical living beings we have to imagine they'd have a tangible motive...what motive was there for such an action that would apply to a technologically advanced culture from the far reaches of space? *other than the whole screwing with the locals*.

Vanok

Vanok

The last bloodline-

• Darkling
  • 33 posts
This is were the nephilim come into play...

Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,300 posts
The Nephillim were an explination for the giant heroes of Pagan beliefs. They don't work well into the later sorcery like acts of prophets and their assistants, or the supposed super-powers of so called saints.

*as they would have been wiped out by an earlier flood in the book of Enoch*. Although this book does have the least reason to be apocraphy and small bits of it *very small* are retained in the Old Testament.

Vanok

Vanok

The last bloodline-

• Darkling
  • 33 posts
far from pagan beliefs,not to mention most records of the giants are dated back to later civilizations aswell as the bible,took a look at what they look like for instince----------->http://www.snopes.co...cs/giantman.jpg

Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,300 posts
you mean earlier civilizations?

Giants are a universal,

Giants, Small-folk, spirits, undead, dragons, magic people, malevolent forces, benevolent forces.

these are all cultural universals, things you can find in every culture.

Vanok

Vanok

The last bloodline-

• Darkling
  • 33 posts
sorry thank you for the correction,meant to say earlier.Precisely my point,giants and the others you have mentioned are universal,but,the thing you have to realize is the key factor in which the role they played in every culture.