28 replies to this topic

#1 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,272 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

Umbrakinesis is an old power, but one only recently given a name, and of course the current generation of super-power fans insist on trying to give it an explination, and such if you google this term you find very silly sites giving very unscientific attempts to describe this power with a scientific explinations.

Umbrakinesis is (shadow and darkness control) which has been seen from things as simple as shadow paralysis (stabbing someone's shadow and pinning them there) a living shadow (think Count Dracula), shadow bolts (Raven from Teen Titans) shadow puppets, shadow tendrils, all the way to shadow portals, summoning (Bayonetta) and creating creatures from darkness (Jackie Estacado: AKA the Darkness)

of course there isn't a rational explination for this power given that darkness is actually just we experience when we can't see., the attempts I have seen online people have tried to define it as control over "deactivated photons" what ever the hell that is supposed to be (I imagine its meant to be the same as a reverse photon, but in old sci-fi that would be an anti-matter or alternate dimension version of photons and not "deactivated" in any sense of the word).

the other was someone trying to make it the same thing as Photokinesis (light control) but only over the infrared or ultraviolet spectrums making them look like darkness (which anyone knowing what those two are would know that "darkness control" far from anything related to those, which are "the heat" and "cell killing radiation" parts of the spectrum respectivly.

In my own series I put Umbrakinesis under the Qauntum-Kinesis group of (oddity) as in not really able to be defined with anything other than its self or amongst those that draw their power from another dimensional layer (in this case the far dark, netherworld, shadow dimension, ect...*in other words lightless, or low light dimensions where the "fabric" of that dimension when seen in our dimension manifests as a tangible darkness.

Simular to my version of Astral-Kinesis (pure raw mystical energy *in that it distorts, destroys, and can re-shape physical reality and probability) or Necro-Kinesis (the dimensional fabric of the land of the dead manifested in our dimension being percieved as though it were energy).

So lets see "some weak attempt to explain it as a fake version of photons and thus trying to make it sound real" or "screw reality its a super-power and most the big names with it have ties to a dark dimension and summon/create monstrous creatures from it, so it being the tangible essence of said dimensions is alot more open, and ties to these characters alot closer, plus its just plain cooler".

#2 Daarkon

Daarkon

Ghoul

• Darkling
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:43 PM

the only likely scientific explenation is that your controlling the absence of light as in moving the light so there is a shadow or darkness instead. Your not controlling the shadow, just moving the light so there is no light in a certain area

#3 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,272 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

the only likely scientific explenation is that your controlling the absence of light as in moving the light so there is a shadow or darkness instead. Your not controlling the shadow, just moving the light so there is no light in a certain area

which would be Photokinesis, the problem I have with the other explinations is that if you control light you are controlling the whole spectrum.

and what you described would look nothing like what people consider Umbrakinesis, which usually involves the shadows being able to physically interact with things, like constricting, tripping, all the way up to shadow based monstrosities. To me this isn't anything like Photokinesis, and more like a Psionic or Dimensional ability.

#4 Galeric

Galeric

Victim

• Spawn
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Wow, that is a very interesting explaination. I had always thought that anything with kinesis was just telekinesis but with emphasis on a specific thing such as fire (pyro) etc.. But your examples of other things is interesting and I will have to look into it. Thanks for the new take.

#5 Zackariah

Zackariah

Victim

• Spawn
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

sorry, I sorta need to hijack this thread, but my friend was an umbrakinetic, amongst other things, nd the other day, he made my shadow come to life and talk to me,but it only lasted maybe ten minutes. And today, he has no memory at all of his ability.He has no idea what he can do, and ive started hearing whispers around certain people. I think im going insane. Help!

#6 daughter of Weyland

daughter of Weyland

Disciple

• Darkling
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

sorry, I sorta need to hijack this thread, but my friend was an umbrakinetic, amongst other things, nd the other day, he made my shadow come to life and talk to me,but it only lasted maybe ten minutes. And today, he has no memory at all of his ability.He has no idea what he can do, and ive started hearing whispers around certain people. I think im going insane. Help!

or, your friend is not using his own powers, something else has tapped in and has found itself two victims for the price of one.

the occult is funny like that, if you're not equipped for what you meet, you end up meat.

#7 Zackariah

Zackariah

Victim

• Spawn
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

huh?

#8 Throne777

Throne777

The Destruction Of Assumptions

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

or, your friend is not using his own powers, something else has tapped in and has found itself two victims for the price of one.
the occult is funny like that, if you're not equipped for what you meet, you end up meat.

Funny, I've performed 400+ year old spells designed to summon specific demon and precisely fuck all happened (surprise surprise). Shame, I would have liked the autograph of Astaroth.

#9 NightLoki

NightLoki

Mentor

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:22 AM

Funny, summoning greater demons doesn't sound like a ball of fun to me.

#10 daughter of Weyland

daughter of Weyland

Disciple

• Darkling
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

Funny, I've performed 400+ year old spells designed to summon specific demon and precisely fuck all happened (surprise surprise). Shame, I would have liked the autograph of Astaroth.

In the same token i do not believe it's this simple or even reasonable that humans can control something like a shadow, darkness or any other act of nature or unnatural, no more than they can alter their physical form. However i do believe that all energies can be manipulated and that we're all derived from energy but nature is on It's own level and while we can tune in we can't go against established natural laws.

So, if there are supernatural agents out there that can manipulate energies we're barely capable of understanding and being of the physical world we can not defy, what is it that allows people to do, unnatural physical feats?

#11 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,272 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:38 AM

"It is not hands that summon us, but desire"
-Pinhead (Hellraiser 2)

As much as I hate to qoute a movie for this, it pretty much sums up my answer to this.

It is not the burning of leaves, the chanting of sounds which are merely vibrations in the air, or the movements of your body, or even the life of some beast you may sacrifice that summons those who lurk in the far dark or some other dimensional realm. It is intent, it is desire, these actions are merely acts that cement this desire in your mind and make it real. A spell is not merely words, it must come from the soul, and humans can use their actions to strengthen their own resolve and trully make it real to them.

#12 Throne777

Throne777

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

"It is not hands that summon us, but desire"
-Pinhead (Hellraiser 2)

As much as I hate to qoute a movie for this, it pretty much sums up my answer to this.

It is not the burning of leaves, the chanting of sounds which are merely vibrations in the air, or the movements of your body, or even the life of some beast you may sacrifice that summons those who lurk in the far dark or some other dimensional realm. It is intent, it is desire, these actions are merely acts that cement this desire in your mind and make it real. A spell is not merely words, it must come from the soul, and humans can use their actions to strengthen their own resolve and trully make it real to them.

So basically, because I haven't psychologically biased myself into wanting something to happen, it turns out that I don't interpret chance phenomena as evidence for something greater? Who would have thought?

#13 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,272 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

So basically, because I haven't psychologically biased myself into wanting something to happen, it turns out that I don't interpret chance phenomena as evidence for something greater? Who would have thought?

No, first I'd like to point out that the guy saying a shadow talked to him more than likely witnissed a hallucination than reality. Even I obey occam's razor.

As for your post as a whole, the subject is better set for the numerous threads which have been made like "is magic real" and "how does magic work" rather than Umbrakinesis.

In the case I answered you, you said you performed spells designed to summon something. If said something was summoned there would be no chance it was something else *except maybe a serious drug-trip*. Or other spells in general, I know plenty of people who have attributed coincidence to divine help, but others to whome things have happened that shouldn't have and only after a spell was performed. Its really a fine line when it comes to subtle things, one reason I don't care for subtle magic, if its not obvious, then how is it magic really.

In the case of Umbrakinesis, if you summoned something via Umbrakinesis, then its a solid something, like Shadow People, even though it looks like darkness to our eyes, its a physical manifestation not simply the lack of light *especially with a description like darker than the darkness around it* There would be no mistake, not some whisper in the ear, not some dream vision, but something standing before you that creates a stirring in your gut no matter how benign it may seem, a deep human fear just by looking at it.

#14 daughter of Weyland

daughter of Weyland

Disciple

• Darkling
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

This reminds me of The Secret, i didn't read the book but chose to watch the movie, it's all about manifesting your visualization using positive thought to bring about positive action.

i guess for me it's called prayer... ;)

who knows what powers the mind may yet yield, in some sense isn't reality subjective to the person experiencing it?

#15 Fluid of life

Fluid of life

Resident Fool

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

two examples that I remember was when Joshua(?) had the Sun stand still to complete his victory. The Sun standing still is light control in the nth degree. The other was from Treasure Island when the Pirates believed that letting someone's shadow cross you was bad luck and could lead to death.

#16 Rhuen

Rhuen

Celestial Power

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,272 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:58 AM

Forget light completly, Umbrakinesis, shadow magic, shadow manipulation, has nothing to do with light or light spectrums. Its an impossible act using something with no subtance, litterally, its not like light which is photons, photons can be focused, split, the wavelengths lenthened or shortened.

Darkness is nothing, its just everything when nothing is illuminating it. Umbrakinesis would be manipulating this everything when light is absent, or summoning something through a dark spot.

Okay, if this were real it would be a form of Umbrakinesis.

#17 daughter of Weyland

daughter of Weyland

Disciple

• Darkling
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

i find myself thinking of white wolf's lasombra.

#18 Lissie

Lissie

Mentor

• Darkling
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

When I was little I would play shadow tag with my friends and one time I stepped on someone's shadow and she screamed and fell to the ground and a couple minutes later she had a bruise on her back the same size as my shoe, but I never touched her

Edited by Lissie, 19 January 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#19 desperado

desperado

Thrall

• Darkling
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

I know this is off topic, but can anyone explain why a person would have strange effects around or near electrical objects?
I feel like a lightning rod.

#20 Throne777

Throne777

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

I know this is off topic, but can anyone explain why a person would have strange effects around or near electrical objects?
I feel like a lightning rod.

Depends what you mean by strange effects. If you mean your hair stands on end or you keep getting shocks, then you're managing to build up a static charge which discharges when you come into contact with another object. If you mean you think 'machines just mysteriously break about me' then you're remembering certain events (& forgetting others) to fit a psychological schema you have.