Photo
- - - - -

Egyptian gods birthdays.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rhuen

Rhuen

Fallen Angel

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,193 posts
  • Interests:Mythology, Zoology, Biology, Psychology, Demonology,

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

today is the feast of Thoth, but next week sees a whole set of birthdays for the Egyptian gods

13th: Ra

14th: Osiris

15th: Horus

16th: Set

17th: Isis

18th: Nephthys

#2 darkality24

darkality24

Noble

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

awesome I have the same birthday as Isis

#3 havik

havik

Elder

• Twilight
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

i have the same as Ra

#4 Lethe

Lethe

Noble

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:17 AM

today is the feast of Thoth, but next week sees a whole set of birthdays for the Egyptian gods

13th: Ra

14th: Osiris

15th: Horus

16th: Set

17th: Isis

18th: Nephthys

And what do all these different gods do? And what do they look like?

I know Isis is like the goddess of wisdom? Or something? I used to know more Egyptian mythology, now I know next to nothing.

#5 Rhuen

Rhuen

Fallen Angel

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,193 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

And what do all these different gods do? And what do they look like?

I know Isis is like the goddess of wisdom? Or something? I used to know more Egyptian mythology, now I know next to nothing.

Ra=King, well the first King of the Gods. Head honcho sun god. Gave the throne to Set, which was then taken over my Horus. Ra is the strongest of the gods with control over pretty much everything. *depicted either as the sun, a stag-beetle, or a hawk with a human head. Rarely as a man with a bird head.*

Osiris=God of the underworld, he was the first Pharoah of Egypt, Set was his brother and Isis his wife. Set killed Osiris and strewn his corpse all over the place. Isis and her sister Nephys found the pieces and put them back together. Osiris became like a zombie god and now rules the underworld (not a bad thing here). However he is now sterile. Isis was able to give him full life for one night and sleep with him, and thus Horus was concieved. *depicted as a man in mummy wrappings*

Horus=son of Osiris and Isis. He became king of the gods after winning a duel with Set, granted his mother Isis orchistrated the entire event. *depicted either as a baby on Isis lap, or as a man with a hawk head* Often reliefs mistaken for Ra are actually of Horus.

Set=god of chaos and storms. His power could shatter mountain tops. Newer translations, and later dynasties at that, progressivly viewed him as evil, but his earlier worship was not. Perhaps one of the earlier displays of demofication of an older god, and one while still part of the existing pantheon being worshiped.

Isis=Goddess of light, love, motherhood, and magic. the mother of Horus and wife of Osiris (making her also queen of the underworld) but that's only a small part of her. She is also very tricky and clever. She poisoned Ra with a snake and got him to reveal to her his true name (and thus control over him to some degree) in order to heal him.

Nephthys=I may be wrong on somethings about her. not as familiar with her. Sister of Isis, I believe wife of Set. She helped Isis find Osiris' lost body parts. a goddess of darkness(I think).

#6 Lethe

Lethe

Noble

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:57 AM

Ra=King, well the first King of the Gods. Head honcho sun god. Gave the throne to Set, which was then taken over my Horus. Ra is the strongest of the gods with control over pretty much everything. *depicted either as the sun, a stag-beetle, or a hawk with a human head. Rarely as a man with a bird head.*

Osiris=God of the underworld, he was the first Pharoah of Egypt, Set was his brother and Isis his wife. Set killed Osiris and strewn his corpse all over the place. Isis and her sister Nephys found the pieces and put them back together. Osiris became like a zombie god and now rules the underworld (not a bad thing here). However he is now sterile. Isis was able to give him full life for one night and sleep with him, and thus Horus was concieved. *depicted as a man in mummy wrappings*

Horus=son of Osiris and Isis. He became king of the gods after winning a duel with Set, granted his mother Isis orchistrated the entire event. *depicted either as a baby on Isis lap, or as a man with a hawk head* Often reliefs mistaken for Ra are actually of Horus.

Set=god of chaos and storms. His power could shatter mountain tops. Newer translations, and later dynasties at that, progressivly viewed him as evil, but his earlier worship was not. Perhaps one of the earlier displays of demofication of an older god, and one while still part of the existing pantheon being worshiped.

Isis=Goddess of light, love, motherhood, and magic. the mother of Horus and wife of Osiris (making her also queen of the underworld) but that's only a small part of her. She is also very tricky and clever. She poisoned Ra with a snake and got him to reveal to her his true name (and thus control over him to some degree) in order to heal him.

Nephthys=I may be wrong on somethings about her. not as familiar with her. Sister of Isis, I believe wife of Set. She helped Isis find Osiris' lost body parts. a goddess of darkness(I think).

Thanks!

Hm. I thought Anubis was the god of the Underworld? The jackal-headed one?

#7 Fatal_love_syndrome

Fatal_love_syndrome

Master

• Twilight
  • PipPip
  • 2,174 posts
  • Interests:Ask Me.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

He was originally. As the religions progressed he became a lesser god. More of a psychopomp of the dead and funeral preparations.

#8 Rhuen

Rhuen

Fallen Angel

• Twilight
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,193 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

Thanks!

Hm. I thought Anubis was the god of the Underworld? The jackal-headed one?

what Fatal Love Syndrome said.

these are gods after all, a religon, the Kemetic Faith. and like any religion stories change over time.

before Osiris was added to the pantheon, in the old version of the religion Anubis was the ruler of the underworld. he was said to have conquered the underworld and made it a place suitable for human souls to reside.

however the more human figure of Osiris was placed in this occupation later and Anubis became more of an inbetween, a grim-reaper figure working side to side with Ma'at and Amet to judge souls.